Friday, February 7, 2020

South Indian elumichai oorugai recipe

South-Indian-pickle

South Indian elumichai oorugai without boiling the lemon. Perfect for small batches to make use of lemon.

When my in laws were here last December, they bought gooseberry. Since I did not notice initially thinking it is lemon, after a week it had to be made use fast. So mami asked me to make pickle with it. She even cut and kept for me. It was very easy procedure than my gooseberry pickle I had posted. I had a thought that I should try the same way with lemon as I love lemon pickle.

When I got fresh lemon last week, also the homemade pickles ran out of stock. Planned to make a small batch of lemon pickle same way as she taught me the gooseberry pickle. It turned out perfect to suit my taste, so thought of sharing my version number2️⃣. Best to make use of lemon quickly as well as make small batch so that it gets over soon.

lemon-pickle
elumichai-oorugai
Print Pin
0 from 0 votes

South Indian elumichai oorugai

South Indian elumichai oorugai without boiling the lemon. Perfect for small batches to make use of lemon. Quick video, with step by step detailed recipe.
Course Condiments
Cuisine Indian, South Indian
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Cup measurements

Ingredients

  • 5 Lemon Small Indian variety
  • 1 tbsp Red chilli powder spicy
  • 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
  • 1/4 tsp asafoetida
  • 1/8 tsp Fenugreek seeds powder Roasted
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp jaggery powder
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • Salt as needed

Instructions

  • Wash, pat dry and cut lemon into small pieces as shown. I avoid cutting through the seeds and take out whole as it causes more bitterness.
  • Add salt generously to the cut lemon in a non reactive jar (glass or porcelain)
  • I kept it in room temperature through out the day and refrigerated in the night. Every day toss and keep inside fridge itself.
  • After minimum 4 days, the lemon gets softened in the salt. This makes the lemon get easily cooked as well as soft.
  • To make pickle, gather all the ingredients. Heat a pan with oil.
  • Splutter mustard. Add half of the asafoetida. I added fenugreek seeds powder in oil itself.
  • Add the soaked lemon to oil carefully. Saute in oil for two minutes to cook it.
  • Add turmeric and red chilli powder. mix well and cook for 4 mins in medium flame.
  • Once the pickle starts leaving out oil, add jaggery and continue cooking for one more minute.
  • Cool down and store in a clean jar. Keep refrigerated.

Video

Notes

  • I usually have roasted fenugreek powdered with me in stock, so used it while tempering.
  • If you dont, you can roast 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (vendhayam) until fragrant and powder it using mortar pestle. It gets powdered easily as we roast it.

Elumichai oorugai method:

  1. Wash, pat dry and cut lemon into small pieces as shown. I avoid cutting through the seeds and take out whole as it causes more bitterness.
    cut-lemon
  2. Add salt generously to the cut lemon in a non reactive jar (glass or porcelain)
    mix-salt
  3. I kept it in room temperature through out the day and refrigerated in the night. Every day toss and keep inside fridge itself.
  4. After minimum 4 days, the lemon gets softened in the salt. This makes the lemon get easily cooked as well as soft.
  5. To make pickle, gather all the ingredients. Heat a pan with oil.
    elumichai-oorugai
  6. Splutter mustard. Add half of the asafoetida. I added fenugreek seeds powder in oil itself.
  7. Add the soaked lemon to oil carefully. Saute in oil for two minutes to cook it.
    add-spices
  8. Add turmeric and red chilli powder. mix well and cook for 4 mins in medium flame.
    cook
  9. Once the pickle starts leaving out oil, add jaggery and continue cooking for one more minute. Cool down and store in a clean jar. Keep refrigerated.pickle-ready

Always handle pickle without any moisture in hands/ spoon. Use non reactive material for both storing as well as spooning.

elumichai-oorugai

The post South Indian elumichai oorugai recipe appeared first on Raks Kitchen.



from Raks Kitchen https://ift.tt/389lPVz
via KITCHEN MASALA

No comments:

Post a Comment