Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Daangar pachadi | Urad dal powder raita

Daangar pachadi or urad dal powder raita is a traditional recipe from Thanjavur, prepared with roasted ulundhu maavu as main ingredient. This is my most favorite & easiest thayir pachadi of all I would say! Highly recommend to try if you have not tried or tasted this before.

dangar pachadi

Perfect to go with your south Indian lunch or even you can have it as such, that finger licking good!

If you like this recipe, you may also love my nellikkai thayir pachadi and vendakkai thayir pachadi in this website.

[feast_advanced_jump_to]

Ingredients

Super easily available ingredients and simple ones you find in your pantry.

Ingredients for dangar pachadi
  • Urad dal -Black gram - Ulutham paruppu in Tamil, you can use split ones or whole white, but I used whole.
  • Asafoetida - I would say this is the second main ingredient that lends flavor to this dish.
  • Chilli - I have used both red chilli and green chilli for flavor as well as to balance the tanginess.
  • Curd - Plain yogurt - I used my homemade fresh curd, it was not tangy, and not too thick as well. Do not prefer sour curd in anything, so I like it this way.

See recipe card for full list & quantities.

Instructions

Let's see how to make this delicious dangar pachadi.

roast urad dal

1. First dry roast dal with red chilli in medium flame. Since I used solid asafoetida, I added along.

roasted ulundhu

2. Dal turns golden and wafts aroma with asafoetida (asafoetida will be puffed nicely)

grind

3. Cool down and place the roasted items in a mixie.

powder to flour

4. Powder finely to a flour. If coarse, you can also sieve. Mine was fine, so did not sieve.

add curd

5. Take a mixing bowl, transfer powdered urad flour to it. Add curd, salt. I use my sauce whisk which is perfect for this.

mix with sauce whisk

6. Mix well to a smooth thayir pachadi.

Temper dangar pachadi

tempering

7. Heat oil in a pan and temper with mustard, followed by chopped chilli, ginger and curry leaves.

add to dangar pachadi

8. Mix it to the curd.

I adapted this recipe from here, thank you for the wonderful recipe 😊

Actually I was thinking to add grated coconut since it is a raita and I add it in my nellikkai thayir pachadi.

Assuming this will also taste same, I thought I should try adding coconut similarly. Glad I didn't! It was perfect this way as such.

Serve daangar pachadi with best as accompaniment for rice. I love it with everything (idli, dosa, chapathi 😂), even to have as such.

daangar pachadi

Variations

Though this is a famous recipe, it also have lots of variations from household to household, with small variations.

  • Few black pepper can be roasted along the dal.
  • Simplest version can be with just curd, urad dal powder and temper just mustard, red chillies for spice. Skip green chilli, ginger.
  • Curd chilli for tempering, using urad dal tempering for crispy twist. In north, they even add sauteed onions while tempering.
  • Some even use raw, un-roasted urad dal powder. But I prefer the roasted flour flavor.

See this lovely pink beetroot raita recipe on my website!

Storage

Daangar pachadi stays good for 2-3 days in fridge if curd is not too turn tangy.

Top tip

  • Use tangy curd or less tangy curd depending on your taste preference.
  • Grinding red chilli along balances the curd's tanginess.
  • If your curd is thick, use buttermilk or water to dilute.
  • Give standing time for perfect creamy smooth texture of the raita.
urad dal raita | Daangar pachadi

Recipe card

dangar pachadi recipe
Print Pin
No ratings yet

Daangar pachadi | Urad dal powder raita

Daangar pachadi or urad dal powder raita is a traditional recipe from Thanjavur, prepared with roasted ulundhu maavu as main ingredient.
Course Side Dish
Cuisine Indian
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 3 minutes
Servings 3 people
Cup measurements

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoon Urad dal
  • 1 cup Curd
  • 1 Red chilli
  • ¼ teaspoon Asafoetida I used solid - See notes
  • Salt as needed

To temper

  • 2 teaspoon Oil I used coconut oil
  • ¼ teaspoon Mustard
  • 1 sprig Curry leaves
  • 1 Green chilli, Finely chopped
  • ½ teaspoon Ginger Finely chopped, optional

Instructions

  • First dry roast dal with red chilli in medium flame. Since I used solid asafoetida, I added along.
  • Dal turns golden and wafts aroma with asafoetida (asafoetida will be puffed nicely)
  • Cool down and place the roasted items in a mixie.
  • Powder finely to a flour. If coarse, you can also sieve. Mine was fine, so did not sieve.
  • Cool down and place the roasted items in a mixie. Add cumin seeds to it.
  • Powder finely to a flour. If coarse, you can also sieve. Mine was fine, so did not sieve.
  • Take a mixing bowl, transfer powdered urad flour to it. Add curd, salt. I use my sauce whisk which is perfect for this.
  • Mix well to a smooth thayir pachadi.
  • Heat oil in a pan and temper with mustard, followed by chopped chilli, ginger and curry leaves.
  • Mix it to the curd.

Video

Notes

  • Add salt carefully, it won't take much.
  • Asafoetida - I used solid asafoetida and it imparts strong flavor much needed for this pachadi. If using powder, use ¼ teaspoon adding towards end of roasting. You can also use little while tempering. 
  • Let the green chilli seep in oil so that it gives spice required.  
YoutubeDo you like short videos? Subscribe now!
InstagramMention @rakskitchen or tag #rakskitchen if you have tried this recipe.

FAQ

How does it tastes?

It tastes amazingly delicious! I love mixing idli podi with curd and having it for idli dosa. This dangar pachadi is like an special version of it tasting similar to it 😍👌

The post Daangar pachadi | Urad dal powder raita appeared first on Raks Kitchen.



from Raks Kitchen https://ift.tt/O2n9C4q
via KITCHEN MASALA

No comments:

Post a Comment